There’s no place like it in Canada. Where a university joins a community to create a shared space for learning. At this place everyone learns together, with both hearts and minds.
It’s the kind of learning that can change the world. We’re a non-traditional academic space in the community and we’ve been here since 1999. We bring people together who might otherwise not connect– we’re a hub where ideas can be exchanged. Our work is grounded in the value of a learning exchange – the idea that learning is a ‘two-way street’.
We welcome and empower people from the Downtown Eastside and the University of British Columbia to build capacity – and create a better future.
How we’re involved
- Our core programs help community residents improve their lives through personal development and new social networks.
- Our opportunities for UBC students provide experiential learning and community involvement.
- Our collaborations with UBC faculty add real-life learning to coursework.
- Our university and community connections enrich research and knowledge exchange.
- Our connection with community organizations creates synergies to address critical social problems.
What we’ve learned
That innovations for learning can come from something as simple as a shared space where individual and community strengths are valued.
Where we’re going
We’ve been privileged to inspire others to learn, discover, contribute and get involved. We thank the Downtown Eastside and UBC for enabling this journey – we hope you will continue to walk alongside us as we keep pace with this dynamic community and all it has to offer.